Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Life Hacks-From Mummy to Baby- Hack#2

 Hack #2 - Empathy

Dear J

As we wrapped up the day, and you asked for my hand - like everyday and a story - like everyday, I refused today because of a terrible throatache. Like everytime, you decided to pull out the 'crying incessantly' card on me again. But this time, I didn't budge. I let you cry yourself to sleep. This is pre-mature I know, but I think you need mumma to tell you about empathy.
As your mum, everyday I do atleast 1 thing which discomforts me, to make sure you're comfortable. This is what parents do. Maybe we would continue to. But as you grow older,remember that without empathy & care, you will find it impossible to forge any real relationship. Because everyone has a tough day, a tough week,a tough month or a tough year - but as a daughter, friend, partner or spouse, if you end up looking for only your piece of the pie, my dear, you'll probably be eating the pie all alone. 

Before you grow up to believe that 'your wish is our command' - let me burst the Disney bubble for you, princess. Not everytime.

Love and care is a two-way street. You give some, you get some.Just don't keep a scoreboard.Try to empathize with someone else's situation by putting yourself in their shoes before you decide to judge them.It's only when you can truly empathize with people that you will find it in your heart to give without wanting in return.Giving is much more powerful and fulfilling,my darling, than receiving. There might be times that other see your unconditional giving as a sign of your weakness or even something they can take advantage of, make sure you keep your distance from those people.But don't get disheartened. Empathy is an underrated value - very hard to practice and equally hard to find. But it will surely give you a happier and healthier heart.

So, the next time I'm unwell, hold my hand and tuck me in with a story. 

Love
Your non-selfless mumma :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment